Test of TimeSPONSORED CONTENT
Stone Ridge School of the Sacred Heart
When Stone Ridge opened in 1923 as the Convent of the Sacred Heart on Massachusetts Avenue in D.C., it was in part because of demand for a Sacred Heart School from the international community. St. Madeleine Sophie Barat founded the Society of the Sacred Heart in France in 1800, an order dedicated to educating young women. Families in Washington, DC were familiar with the Sacred Heart tradition from experiences in other countries. For over a generation, the school fulfilled its mission, but quickly outgrew its quarters. The Religious of the Sacred Heart purchased 35 acres of “Stone Ridge,” the George Hamilton estate in Bethesda. In 1947, the original school moved to Stone Ridge and opened with 150 students and 25 instructors.
Today, as Stone Ridge approaches its Centennial Celebration, the farmland where the school was built now houses a first-class turf athletic field, an eight-lane indoor pool, tech labs, green space and much more. Stone Ridge continues to attract and reflect a dynamic international community with a richly diverse student body, and as a member of the International Network of Sacred Heart Schools. Representing many cultures and ethnic groups, students benefit from a global education and the friendships they make while at the school. With a dynamic curriculum, first-rate arts and athletic programs, a Social Action program, and network exchange opportunities with sister schools across the globe, students are exposed to the world at large.
“You can easily see how we are preparing our students for a world without borders,” says Head of School Catherine Ronan Karrels ‘86. “This sense of belonging to a worldwide network and mission is a powerful aspect of our identity.”