REACH Experience Usher
Hourly Wage - $13.75
REACH Experience Ushers are responsible for greeting and assisting visitors, monitoring the interiors and exteriors of the REACH, assisting with the management of events and crowd control, serving as the eyes and ears of the Kennedy Center, and other duties as assigned. Be visible Kennedy Center representatives while on duty.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Open and close various areas of the REACH, including the Studios, Classrooms, and Event Spaces.
- Politely greet and assist visitors.
- Provide information on whether areas are open to Kennedy Center Tours, or open/closed rehearsals.
- Be aware of and report violations of Kennedy Center policies and procedures.
- Float on assigned levels throughout the shift, unless taking an assigned break.
- Attend meetings and/or trainings as required by management.
- Demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of The Center and the REACH, including all venues, lounges, special events areas, patron services, rehearsals, and performances.
- Demonstrate a good understanding of evacuation procedures.
- Be aware of all performances and special events on campus during assigned shifts.
- Work well with other Kennedy Center staff to provide an efficient team.
- Communicate with Usher Services and Security as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Formal training beyond a high school diploma of 6 months to one year's duration or equivalent desired.
- Recommendation of Usher Services, plus successful completion of usher orientation and REACH Experience usher training, including general knowledge and safety/security.
Usher Experience Within The Kennedy Center
Minimum Skills and/or Knowledge Required:
- Knowledgeable of the campus and adjacent areas.
- Knowledgeable of proper directions on getting to all theaters, venues, and surrounding areas
- Ability to determine who has access and to where, who does not, and how to redirect.
- Provide immediate and appropriate response to safety incidents and emergencies
- Exhibit exceptional dependability, flexibility, and patience in interactions with others
- Work with a wide variety of personalities in the execution of events
- Must be aware of, and follow, guidelines for excellent customer service.
- Available during REACH hours of operation (9:30 AM – 10 PM).
- General Kennedy Center campus knowledge helpful.
- Ability to read small print.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Standing and walking are requirements of the REACH Experience ushers as this is a mobile position with limited seating, and time allotted for such.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Will be working in an environment that will be both slow and fast-paced with conditions such as low-to-high noise levels, varying heights and slopes, temperature fluctuations, and occasional limited lighting (ranging from dim to dark), including exterior and evening events, activities, and performances.
Duties and responsibilities as required by business necessity may be added, deleted, or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally, either verbally or in writing. Scheduling: must be able to work at least two 4-hour shifts permanently a week. Work location may be changed at any time, as required by business necessity. Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.