Public Affairs Specialist
This position serves as a Public Affairs Specialist in the NIST Public Affairs Office. Responsibilities focus on reporting and promoting NIST’s research efforts and programs. This will be done through the writing of press releases, news stories, blog posts, and other materials, and assisting in the development of text for infographics or social media posts. This requires establishing and maintaining relationships with NIST research staff in an assigned beat area.
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. citizen
- You must be registered for Selective Service if applicable (www.sss.gov)
- You must be suitable for Federal Employment
- Merit applicants must meet time-in-grade/band requirements, as applicable
- Qualification requirements must be met on or before the closing date.
- Two writing samples (see qualification section) must be submitted.
Applicants must possess one year (52 weeks) of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-7 (ZA-I at NIST) in the federal service. Specialized experience is defined as experience writing and editing content for communicating science and technical research topics to a variety of audiences in lay language, in a journalistic style.
Must possess a master's or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full-years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree.
IN ADDITION to the above qualifications, applicants must meet the following SELECTIVE PLACEMENT FACTOR:
Applicants must submit, with their application, two writing samples that demonstrate the ability to translate complex chemistry, engineering, and/or physics research concepts into journalistic, lay language will be required from all applicants at the time of application.