Public Affairs Specialist
This position is located in the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Office of the Commissioner (OC), Office of External Affairs (OEA), Office of Media Affairs (OMA) in Silver Spring, MD. The public affairs specialist is responsible for the coordination of media relations activities. This includes determining, influencing, and executing a program to inform and educate general and specialized stakeholders about programs, activities and services.
- Arrange press conferences, media briefings, media availability, interviews and other news events.
- Facilitate media interviews with agency officials and provide guidance to interview subjects on advisable conduct during media contacts.
- Respond to questions and/or criticism from members of the news media concerning complex policies and issues.
- Independently initiate, create, write, and edit materials, including news releases, about complicated public health and scientific subjects directed towards journalists and lay audiences.
- Study the effectiveness of communication tactics, conduct assessments and evaluations to ensure objectives were met and identify quality improvements for improving effectiveness.