Press Secretary to the President
View all Jobs
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens, and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a dynamic and effective Press Secretary to the President. This role is responsible for managing the media profile, press opportunities, and messaging around the Acting President and CEO of Planned Parenthood Federation of American and Planned Parenthood Action Fund.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Act as main point of contact and funnel for all media requests for president, mapping out what’s needed for each opportunity, and planning for best messaging, talking points, and managing potential risks and pitfalls.
- In consultation with the Senior Director and SVP, manage the media profile and long-term media strategy around the president: map out long-term goals and strategy, manage media opportunities, proactively pitch opportunities and manage incoming requests, make strategic decisions about what opportunities to take, create in-depth briefing documents and talking points, travel and staff media opportunities.
- Manage and shape in-depth, high-profile stories, segments, podcasts, and more, in top tier national outlets, requiring nuanced knowledge of Planned Parenthood, reproductive health care, and policy. Produce and direct every aspect of in-person interviews from visuals to managing tricky reporters to saying no to protecting the president from negative questions or situations.
- Travel with the president to staff media opportunities and hits, managing schedule, reporter Q&A, and more. Work with the office of the president to help manage schedules, timing, and more.
- Support the president in what they need for media opportunities and events: supplying information, training, prep, briefings, and more.
- Working closely with the president’s speechwriter and the office of the president, maintain and manage the integrity of the president’s voice throughout media and Planned Parenthood content. Manage media advance and risk around media opportunities, profile, press events, etc.
- Act as a strategic partner for the rest of the media team to think through the best use of the president’s media profile to help advance the goals of Planned Parenthood.
- Manage partner media requests for president, building relationships with high-profile staffers on electoral campaigns, partner organizations, and more.
- Identify journalists to connect more deeply with Planned Parenthood.
- Maintain media contacts lists, and build and maintain relationships with key journalists at a range of outlets.
- Participate fully in brainstorming and planning sessions on communications work.
- Complete special projects as assigned and required.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- 5 years of relevant work experience, with experience directly staffing high-profile principals required.
- Experience managing high-profile print, radio, and television media opportunities, from photoshoots to talk shows to editorial board meetings
- Must possess excellent organizational and planning skills.
- Must have excellent writing and communication skills - able to distill complicated topics down to short, compelling points.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Knowledge of Spanish is preferred.
- Must be able to take and give feedback and constructively work towards solutions.
- Must be able to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be a team player and accustomed to maintaining composure under pressure.
- Must be able to build relationships and negotiate requests from high-profile partners.
- Must be able to navigate a wide range of high-profile events that involve working with celebrities, elected officials, and more.
- Must have a keen eye toward racial equity and reaching diverse groups and populations, especially Black and Latino communities as well as LGBTQ and youth communities.
- Knowledge of diverse groups, working with a diverse workforce, and sensitivity to and appreciation of cultural differences is required.
- Must be able to stay calm even in a crisis.
- Must be extremely proactive, resourceful, and able to think on your feet.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.