Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a dynamic and effective Press Officer. The Press Officer is responsible for implementation of media relations strategies to inform and influence key audiences on advocacy and policy fights around Planned Parenthood Federation of America and the Planned Parenthood Action Fund’s work. The Press Officer is also responsible for producing material for media, responding to media requests, preparing spokespeople, and proactively reaching out to media outlets.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Draft press releases, statements, advisories, op-ed pieces, talking points, briefings, message guidance, fact sheets, and other material that supports media relations efforts.
- Pitch reporters proactively and work with a range of media outlets, local and national.
- Respond to inquiries from reporters, and facilitate interviews, press stories, etc.
- Arrange and coordinate logistics around interview requests, bookings, and supporting external parties and partners with message and media guidance.
- Identify journalists to connect more deeply with Planned Parenthood. Maintain media contacts lists, and build and maintain relationships with key journalists at a range of outlets.
- Produce or assist with media-related events and trainings.
- Work with affiliates and relevant departments to ensure that media materials and strategies reflect broader organizational goals related to advocacy, policy, health care services, litigation and elections.
- Work with affiliates and relevant departments to help develop and implement earned media plans and drive narratives related to Planned Parenthood and our issues. Identify opportunities to elevate in national press and integrate into key national narratives.
- Actively monitors state-based media outlets and keep key PPFA leadership and staff up to date on breaking news, earned media opportunities, and important developments.
- In partnership with the affiliate and other departments, monitor the movement of key state policies and update PPFA staff on developments.
- Coordinate with coalition partners and other allies to implement shared media relations goals.
- Participate fully in brainstorming and planning sessions on communications work. Proactively identify and create news hooks.
- Acts as a media relations point person. Handle day-to-day media relations on a wide range of Planned Parenthood issues and provide direct support related to specific Planned Parenthood issues.
- Travel as needed to represent PPFA at events and to achieve media relations goals in the field.
- Complete special projects as assigned.
Requirements / Technical Expertise
- 3-5 years of work experience, with experience working directly with members of the media, including reporters, producers, bloggers, and writers, preferred.
Personal Qualities /Other Attributes
- Must possess excellent communication skills, in writing, in person, and on the phone.
- Must write and edit proficiently and quickly.
- Must be motivated and a self-starter with excellent customer service/interpersonal relationship skills.
- Must have experience and comfort with public speaking and cold calling reporters.
- Must be organized and able to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be a team player with a track record of delivering under pressure.
- Must swiftly develop in-depth knowledge of key issues facing PPFA and our affiliates and proficiency speaking and writing about them.
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience communicating about policy issues with media or the general public.
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience in media writing and media work, including PR software.
- Existing direct relationships with members of the press and extensive knowledge of the operations of the news media (including print, online, blogs, and broadcast) a plus.
- Knowledge of communicating with diverse groups, working with a multicultural workforce, and sensitivity and appreciation to cultural differences is required.