Program Description: Mundo Verde is a Tier 1 school dedicated to both education for sustainability and Spanish-English biliteracy. We serve one of the most diverse group of PreK-fifth grade students in the District. Mundo Verde uses Expeditionary Learning, a model that promotes self- discovery and critical thinking, encourages teamwork, builds character, and capitalizes on children’s innate spirit of adventure through hands- on, project- based learning. Our social curriculum utilizes the Responsive Classroom approach, based on the premise that children learn best when they have both academic and social-emotional skills. We believe that everyone benefits from the inclusion of students with disabilities in the general education classroom.The school is a U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon School, was awarded the 2013 Mayor’s Sustainability Award, is an Ashoka Changemaker School, and a Flamboyan Foundation Family Engagement Partner School.
Job Description: The Outreach Assistant is a member of the Outreach Team. This position supports the Development Manager and Communications Coordinator with writing, editing, and publishing content in English and Spanish for internal and external audiences, coordinating special events, and managing fundraising activities and eventually take on increasing responsibilities for ensuring the timely and quality production of specific work products such as the weekly family update. The Outreach Assistant does not have any direct reports. This position will report to the Development Manager and the Communications Coordinator and will support the work of the Outreach Coordinator as well.
NOTE: A candidate with entry-level skills and limited experience would primarily assist and as such be offered an Assistant role and paid within that salary band. A candidate with a deeper skill set, more experience and therefore agency to oversee aspects of his or her work would be offered an Associate role and paid within a slightly higher salary band.
- Track donations and donors, using development based software for data entry, reporting and production of donation acknowledgements
- Support the Development Manager in the submission of grants and reports to funders and the creation of solicitations to individuals.
- Support the planning and execution of fundraising events.
- Support publishing content in English and Spanish for external communications, including school website
- Maintain & update mailing lists from the communication systems
General outreach and school duties
- Support in documenting school activities, special events and daily routines with media (photo and video). Take photos and video, to use, archive, and maintain database of photos, videos, graphic media, and news media clips about the school in the media server
- Maintain and achieve student work (digital and hard copies)
- Maintain the school wide communications calendar of all outgoing messages to families and constituents
- Spearhead technology based and social media communications and fundraising efforts (i.e. Facebook, crowdfunding, Twitter, etc.)
- Help coordinate admissions and special events with families, supporters, and community members
- Representing Mundo Verde at external events
- Support with translations (English & Spanish) on a daily basis
- Support school safety by assisting with student arrival and dismissal procedures
- Attending evening/weekend family/ community events throughout the year, such as orientation, prospective parent info sessions, family potlucks,expos, community BBQ or volunteer build days etc.
- Other duties as assigned
Through a supportive team of colleagues and administrators, Mundo Verde staff help create an incredible learning environment. Ideal candidates will possess the following qualities/skills/values:
- Demonstrated ability to be an independent solutions-oriented problem-solver
- Commitment to demonstrate love and joy towards students, colleagues, and the work
- Willing, hard-working attitude with a growth mindset toward self, students, and colleagues
- Demonstrated ability to take ownership of personal work and the school mission
- Capacity to embody the characteristics of a Community Steward by practicing six community building virtues and values every day: 1) Empathy, 2) Speak your truth, 3) Perseverance, 4) Inquiry, 5) Collaboration, and 6) Appreciation
- Ability to establish strong, trusting, and authentic relationships with students, colleagues, families and other stakeholders
- Versatility and willingness to play many roles, learn new skills, and thrive in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple tasks
- Comfort working both on teams and independently with ability to be flexible and take initiative
- Familiarity with database and spreadsheet software
- Ability to responsibly manage sensitive information
- Ability to manage time and work in a fast-paced, dynamic school environment, multi-task, prioritize and stay calm under pressure
- Flexibility, professionalism, creativity and a willingness to learn
- Demonstrated commitment to a growth mindset, professional growth, development
Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree (preferably in business, communications, marketing, non-profit management, education, development or fundraising) or equivalent experience. Experience in social media/online fundraising, web design/graphic design, translation (English/Spanish) preferred. Bilingual in English and Spanish required. Experience in an urban school setting preferred.
Other Job Details
- Full-time 12-month position which is exempt and therefore not eligible for overtime pay under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act
- Employment subject to TB test, fingerprinting and background check
Mundo Verde cares for and values our phenomenal staff and provides the following:
- A competitive salary based on one’s education and experience
- A Tier 1 school home in which to inspire children in a progressive environment
- An opportunity to be a part of developing compassionate global stewards and life-long biliterate learners
- Supportive, grateful and appreciative families who are excited to collaborate
- Colleagues who are devoted to their practice, their students, and the school mission
- A leadership team dedicated to supporting professional growth by providing feedback and support
- A 3-4 week summer institute and other professional development opportunities as available
- FT salaried: A benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, short/long-term and life insurance, employer contributions to a 401(k), a transportation stipend, and paid time off (20 days of paid time off (PTO), 5 days of sick leave, 10 paid holidays, and 4 days of winter break).
- FT hourly: A benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, short/long-term and life insurance, employer contributions to a 401(k), a transportation stipend, and paid time off accrued for hours worked (equivalent of 20 days of paid time off (PTO), 5 days of sick leave, 10 paid holidays, and 4 days of winter break).
- Part-time staff earn paid leave on a pro-rated basis and can make personal contributions to the 401(k) plan.