The Regulatory Affairs Professionals Society (RAPS) is recruiting a talented professional to join its growing team as an editor for Regulatory Focus, the organization’s flagship online publication. RAPS supports individual professionals and organizations in the global medical device, pharmaceutical, biotechnology and related industries.
With a growing staff of approximately 40 employees and an office in Rockville, Maryland (HQ), RAPS offers a dynamic working environment in which creativity, innovation and teamwork are the foundation of a strong organizational culture. Employees are encouraged to challenge themselves to continually improve and to seek new approaches for organizational and individual success.
The editor will be responsible for crafting and creating news articles, with an emphasis on providing analysis that’s relevant to the medical product sectors.
The editor works closely with the managing editor, another editor and RAPS staff to create, suggest and execute news articles that will help regulatory professionals stay abreast with what’s occurring at the regulator level—with special focus on the US and Europe. The emphasis of this position is on original reporting and writing of daily news articles and helping with other editorial tasks related to the composition of the daily newsletter. This position requires a keen eye for news, superior internet skills, a strong writing background and a natural curiosity for building expert contacts and interviewing sources for stories.
The editor is principally responsible for searching for and delivering compelling news stories quickly and accurately. He or she will use sound news judgment to prioritize, work independently and manage simultaneous assignments within a daily deadline. The editor must be able to:
- Research, write and publish daily articles related to the medical product regulatory sector
- Double check necessary facts and sources in assigned projects to ensure accurate delivery
- Understand and be able to apply RAPS’ Style Guide and editorial policies
- Shepherd edited text through necessary reviews
- Check art/text consistency for assigned projects
- Proofread all text in assigned projects
- Provide editing and writing support to other teams as needed
- Participate in editing team activities and support editing team goals
- Work with project teams to create and maintain own schedule
- Promote the organization aggressively and work effectively with all levels of management and staff
- Convey complex subject matter clearly and engagingly
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities Required
- College degree in journalism, communications, English or health policy (or related) – experience with a pharmaceutical, medical device or biotech publication is desired
- 3-5 years professional writing experience
- Experience editing using professional style standards (AP Stylebook, AMA Manual of Style, Chicago Manual of Style) as well as the ability to quickly familiarize self with RAPS style book
- Established journalistic track record
- Ability to effectively use strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Medical writing background a plus
- International experience a plus
- Demonstrated interactive story building and story development skills
- Comfort working in a team setting with internal staff and external partners under tight deadlines
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Experience with web editing tools
- Flexible with schedule and adaptable to constant change
- Must work with a positive attitude
- Ability to thrive in a multitasking environment paying close attention to details
- Proven project management skills
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented and organized.
- Curiosity and creativity