Lead Software Engineer (Internal Tools)
WeddingWire is seeking a Lead Software Engineer to bring a wide range of professional expertise and knowledge to our global Product Development team as we create the very best wedding experience for couples, their guests and vendors--our small business customers. Our newly created Internal Tools team will be responsible for developing proprietary software that will be used by WeddingWire employees. This team will also oversee systems and third party integrations that are critical to our business-facing operations. Over 11 years, we have experienced rapid growth to over 950 employees around the world while maintaining a creative startup culture. You will be challenged with managing innovative solutions and you will be empowered with the autonomy and opportunity to impact change within the $250 billion international wedding marketplace. Join us on our journey as we continue our global expansion among 15 countries in North America, Latin America, Europe and Asia.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
- Execute strategy surrounding code deployments and manage the foundation and framework for others to be effective throughout the release process.
- Design, build and maintain high quality, scalable product deployments to backend systems and tools that are critical to internal team workflows. Will often involve integration with third party systems.
- Work with teams to respond to, triage and resolve issues arising from customer and internal feedback.
- Continue to advance personal skill set and domain knowledge while helping others progress through mentorship opportunities.
- Work with "Back Office" team to evaluate and execute designs and improvements to internal tools that power admin interfaces, sales and contract management systems and billing integrations.
- Evaluate requests and feedback, and design features that enable teams to be more efficient and successful.
- Ensure that systems are maintained and scalable and that tech debt remains minimal during and after feature development. Technological choices should be made thoughtfully so their impacts do not hinder future development.
- Participate in and provide technical insight on business discussions and decision making; facilitating productive conversations that drive positive business results.
- Lead design and implement mechanisms to share data securely and efficiently between teams.
- Assist in automating the developer toolkit to provide recurring value to the company over time; enabling quicker ramp times for new employees and more efficient internal transfers.
- Automate the quality assurance phase of the development cycle through rigorous automation testing, ensuring quality remains high.
- Enable and participate in a DevOps culture in the Product Development organization. Monitor system uptime, response times, and product quality.
- Participate in--and raise the bar for--technical hiring across the Product Development organization. Inspire external developers to join the company and help raise the overall technical excellence of the team.
SUCCESSFUL SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER CANDIDATES HAVE:
- A Bachelor’s degree or 6-8 years of relevant engineering experience; hands-on coding is required
- Professional experience and proficiency in coding and delivering product in PHP and at least one other interpreted web-friendly scripting language (Ruby, Perl, Python, etc.)
- Full knowledge of the web stack is necessary.
- Experience in one or more of the technologies we use today: Ruby on Rails, React/Redux/ES6/Webpack, PHP, MySQL, Sphinx, Elasticsearch, Redis, Chef, Docker, Apache and NGINX
- Managerial or technical lead experience is a plus
- Driven to constantly delight customers and improve their experience with our products
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment with all levels of management
- Have a knack for prioritizing efficiently and multi-tasking
- Self-directed with the ability to take initiative
- Competent in maintaining confidential information
- Enthusiastic with the ability to thrive in an atmosphere of constant change
- Enjoys working with cross-functional teams on internal tools to improve team and company efficiency
- Our Amazing Team! Our team is led by the industry’s top leaders. We are a supportive team that wants every employee to succeed. WeddingWire employees are deeply proud to work here and are eager to onboard employees who want to promote the mission of our organization and achieve our business objectives.
- Training & Development! WeddingWire provides each employee with company orientation during week one. From there, each team onboards and trains each employee specific to their role. We also provide continuous education and other learning opportunities for the broader team through guest speakers, Leadership Development and Managers Certification Programs and crash courses.
- Award-winning Culture! We are proud to have been selected by numerous organizations as one of DC's Best Places to Work! We strongly believe in promoting a unique employee experience and that happy employees lead to happy customers: our competitive advantage! We make significant investments in cultivating our culture, which consistently ranks the highest attribute of working for WeddingWire on our internal and external employee surveys.
Unlimited Vacation - Cutting-edge technologies - Casual attire - Commuting Allowances - Stipends for Professional Development for Every Employee - Give-Back Programs with Matched Donations - Full Menu of Health Benefits - Matched 401(k) Plan - Flexible work schedules - Regular events - Catered breakfast every morning - Company-sponsored team outings - Monthly catered lunches - State of the Art Facility - Paid parental leave for birth and adopting parents - Company-paid Life and Disability Insurance - and more!
WeddingWire provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or disability. In addition to federal law requirements, WeddingWire complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. WeddingWire expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.