Internal Communications Specialist
We're looking for a Communications Specialist to join our growing Staff Engagement team. In this non-supervisory role, you'll work closely with our Manager, Communications and Director of Staff Engagement Office (SEO)in Global HR Division to develop and execute effective communications plans that inform, engage, and inspire our staff. You will be responsible for managing the development and execution of tactical communications plans, including researching, writing, reviewing, and editing communications materials, reports, print and digital content for internal USP audiences under tight and recurring deadlines. You'll partner closely with USP managers, initiative owners and employee-led groups to design targeted approaches aligned to our organizational priorities. You will manage planning and placement of content across multiple internal channels, and will aid in measuring and improving these channels. The successful candidate will be an experienced writer, a great collaborator and a solid team player.
SEO is responsible for building and maintaining high levels of staff engagement and community across USP, delivering internal communications to all global USP staff and helping to instill effective and consistent approaches to change management.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Support Staff Engagement goals and initiatives.
- Build positive collaborative relationships among USP leaders, employee groups and staff to understand and effectively support USP.
- Develop and execute communication plans, communiques and other materials for staff and leaders, as well as maintain archival records for SEO projects and initiatives.
- Provide planning and execution support for all-hands meetings supported by SEO, to include gathering and reviewing content, finalizing materials, and supporting presenter audio/visual and other needs.
- Prepare, edit and oversee loading of content and images for internal communications vehicles (e.g. weekly bulletins, publications, TV monitors).
- Prepare routine email correspondence from Human Resources for distribution to USP staff.
- Provide drafting, editing and/or proofreading for SEO correspondence.
- Provide analytical support for SEO metrics tracking.
- Lead small projects and teams as needed to accomplish tasks.
- Conduct research on engagement and communication topics as needed.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, English, HR or related field required
- At least 2 years of experience in internal communications and/or staff engagement related work
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Ability to build partnerships and work collaboratively
- Experience in managing and/or leading projects or teams
- Demonstrated writing, editing and proofreading skills
- Thrives in a results-oriented, deadline-driven environment
- Excellent planning, time management and organizational skills
- Self-starter - must be able to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Strong technology orientation
- Capable of coordinating across business units and sharing critical information
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Professionalism and good judgment
- Desire and ability to work well with diverse employees and customers in a cooperative and friendly manner
- Exceptional customer service disposition
- Capable of managing deadlines and balancing multiple priorities
- Able to thrive in a rapidly changing business environment
- Comfortable challenging conventional thinking and existing processes
- Creative problem solving
- Prior experience in a scientific based industry is desirable
- Experience in content management software applications (such as Drupal or iContact) a plus
USP offers an impressive benefits package , including:
- Generous paid time off – 13 paid holidays, 10 sick days and 15 vacation days per year to start
- An annual 401(k) contribution, beginning after 1 year of service, of 10% of pay (base and bonus) every pay period that vests immediately
- Comprehensive individual and family healthcare plans with affordable premiums and low annual deductibles ($250/individual or $500/family)
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries.
Being a part of USP means belonging to a diverse culture made up of more than 1,000 talented professionals working together at five international locations. We share our expertise in science, IT, human resources, quality assurance, communications, administrative management, and more...all to support an overall mission dedicated to making a difference by providing standards and programs that help improve the quality of medicines, dietary supplements, and foods worldwide.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.