The College of Arts and Humanities at the University of Maryland seeks a Graphic Designer to join the college’s Marketing and Communications (MarCom) team. Reporting to the Creative Director, this position supports a wide range of projects and campaigns for the partners that make up the performing arts at Maryland, including The Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center (The Clarice) and its Artist Partner Programs (APP); School of Music (SOM); School of Theatre, Dance, and Performance Studies (TDPS); and the Michelle Smith Performing Arts Library (MSPAL).
The Graphic Designer creates campaign artwork and a range of print and digital assets that reflect the Performing Arts at Maryland brand presence for UMD, particularly with its target audiences of UMD students (current and prospective), faculty and staff, and the surrounding community. The designed collateral is part of a greater marketing strategy that supports student recruitment, fundraising, research and audience building from a visual and communications perspective.
The Graphic Designer will be passionate about design and responsible for sharing innovative ideas and industry trends with the larger MarCom team and will actively collaborate, help with photoshoots as needed and work closely with the Creative Director to develop creative products and materials within tight timelines to support strategic initiatives and goals.
The Graphic Designer will be versatile in artistic and technical ability, analytical skills and have a solid knowledge of best practices in creating a large volume of projects for print and digital applications. Candidates must be able to thrive in a fast-paced environment and manage a diverse, often overlapping workload. The Graphic Designer will develop and maintain relationships with print vendors with a thorough knowledge of print production. The Graphic Designer will help identify best practices and areas of advancement for digital design.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher learning, preferably in graphic design, with a concentration or coursework in fine arts, illustration, photography and/or marketing & communications.
3-5 years of professional experience in graphic design including print and digital collateral, photo editing and print production. Illustration skills a plus.
- Compelling portfolio of print and digital design work that demonstrates a range of aesthetics and client-focused solutions to marketing challenges. Applications without a portfolio will not be accepted.
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Lightroom, Bridge, Acrobat Pro.)
- High level of familiarity with the creative process. Maintains exceptional work quality in a fast-paced production environment.
- Strong time management and organizational skills and experience using an online project management tool.
- Strong conceptual skills and an aptitude for developing various aesthetics and concepts from diverse subject matters.
- Strong type and page layout skills across a variety of platforms including magazine layout, booklet printing and developing templates for consistency.
- Adept in digital design for static and rich digital ads, web pages and applications aligned with usability, accessibility, and web standards.
- Proficient photo editor/manipulator.
- Excellent eye for detail and an active, empathetic listener able to incorporate feedback and revisions.
- Self-motivated, strong work ethic with excellent collaboration and communication skills (both verbal and written.)
- Innate tendencies to solve problems creatively, take initiative and negotiate issues via consensus-building.
- Familiarity with offset and digital printing processes (pre-press, press checks, finishing) as well as printing bids and estimates.
- Experience in a public higher education institution.
- Background in the arts or experience with arts institution(s).
- Agency experience.
- Experience conducting press checks and art directing photoshoots preferred.
- Experience with photo archive systems and metadata applications a plus (Adobe Bridge preferred.)
- Past professional experience or knowledge of best practices with cross-platform campaigns, multimedia design, social media, and branding.
Additional Certifications: Additional Information:
- The salary range for this position is $54,720 – $57,000.
- The following documents are required:
1. Cover Letter
3. List of References
4. Supplemental Doc 1 – Design Portfolio (applications will not be reviewed without a portfolio) Job Risks Not Applicable to This Position Physical Demands
Typical office environment.
The University of Maryland, College Park, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, political affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of rights secured by the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
- Cover Letter
- List of References (no emails sent from system)
- Supplemental Document 1