Graphic Design Coordinator
The candidate should be a problem solver, strategist, multitasker, team player, and innovator who works well under pressure in a deadline-driven environment. Well-qualified candidates for this position exhibit outstanding creativity, design expertise, and the ability to organize and schedule multiple assignments. The candidate should be committed to delivering high-quality graphic design work, efficient service, and client satisfaction.
This position reports to the Senior Manager of Marketing and Communications and is responsible for: leading the conceptualization, design, and implementation of digital and print marketing materials for the Universities at Shady Grove (USG), its five service centers, and for academic program representatives of USG’s nine partner universities. The individual will be responsible for creating a high volume of graphic design work with a primary focus on maximizing brand awareness and engagement.
The graphic designer will collaborate with staff members to design creative assets and content for our print and digital platforms, including digital signage and social media; assist with creative support and design materials for various campus-wide events and projects; provide photography of activities and events on campus, photo selection, photo archiving and photo management; coordinate and implement design best practice tools, templates and technologies to drive effectiveness and efficiency across the organization; support special projects and campus events; help to recruit and oversee a student intern; perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution or commensurate professional experience.
- 1-3 years of progressive experience as a graphic design artist with a demonstrated understanding of design principles. Design portfolio demonstrating high-level strategic design sensibilities and strong illustrative skills which translate to supporting our business verticals.
- Expert-level proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Premier and After Effects) is required. Strong photography retouching skills (Photoshop or Lightroom) and copywriting skills.
- Strong understanding of effective graphic design (color, line, shape, scale, and size, space, texture, value) and typography. Understanding of copyright standards.
- Ability to listen effectively, solve problems, and translate ideas creatively into print and digital media with consistency.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and tasks simultaneously, work quickly, and operate collaboratively or independently, as needed.
- Ability to produce a high volume of graphics on deadline while maintaining a high quality of work.
- Demonstrated experience designing for social media and email platforms, including an understanding of both content marketing and visual storytelling. Ability to work cross-functionally to achieve department goals and within the defined constraints of our organizational brand standards.
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge of video animation.
- Ability to effectively tell a story visually.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills, with the ability to listen to and professionally respond to colleagues/clients and their strategic objectives, direction, and feedback.
- Superb collaboration skills and a willingness to share knowledge and expertise to achieve common goals in a multi-stakeholder environment.