Editorial Assistant, Social Media – Morning Edition
NPR’s flagship morning show and podcast are looking for a skilled digital journalist to help define and shape its social media presence. The successful candidate will cultivate communities on Morning Edition’s existing social platforms, and help execute plans to strategically expand our social properties. The Editorial Assistant for social media will work closely with show managers, hosts, editors, producers, and the Digital Content Community Team to help shape social media plans for trips and field reporting. This position also works closely with Digital Content editors to help identify Morning Edition radio reporting for potential digital stories. NPR is committed to meeting our audience wherever they are, and the Morning Edition editorial assistant for social media is a vital part of that mission.
This position works from 5:00 am to 2:00 pm ET, Monday through Friday, but may shift to accommodate special projects and assignments. Morning Edition’s Editorial Assistant for social media works in coordination with his/her counterpart at All Things Considered for across-show collaboration and has a dotted line to the Digital Content Team as part of the network’s holistic digital strategy.
- Help maintain and curate Morning Edition and Up First social properties on a daily basis, working with show management and the Digital Content Community team to hone the social media strategy.
- Write strong headlines, teasers and other display copy for stories and interviews.
- Working closely with Digital Content editors, occasionally research, report and/or write digital stories.
- Support teams working in the field and on special projects, helping to guide their reporting to the web in close consultation with a Digital Content editor. This includes helping craft stories for web and social media posts.
- Collaborate with Digital Content and Visuals teams to help plan and execute digital coverage to highlight show-side reporting, especially special host projects/trips.
- Work with the Visuals team to identify and post photos. Determine the need for rights clearances and permissions for acquired material. Acquire and file permissions and clearances.
- Locate appropriate links and other material to enhance Web stories and posts.
- Highlight daily Morning Edition segments for the newsroom.
- Contribute story ideas for use online and on air.
- Help develop and share social best practices with the Morning Edition staff.
- Collaborate with analysts and product managers in tracking key social metrics.
- Work with the Digital Content Community Team on cross-departmental projects, including digital video
- Handle shifts as assigned, including weekends and holidays, working on a deadline and under pressure.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in journalism, or a writing-intensive discipline (or the equivalent combination of education and experience)
- At least a year's experience creating social media content at a news organization.
- Demonstrated ability to participate in, contribute to and grow online communities
- Demonstrated reporting and writing experience at a news organization
- Demonstrated skills in writing headlines and teaser copy
- Solid, independent news judgment
- Strong knowledge of Associated Press style
- Strong communication skills
- Familiarity with navigating a variety of content management systems
- Ability and willingness to work varied shifts and alter the schedule to best support team
- Ability to document internal processes and analyze audience data
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously under stringent timeframes and changing priorities/conditions
- Ability to both work independently and collaborate with others
- Previous graphic design experience
- Familiarity with social video and digital video editing production
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive place to work that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.