Director, Office of Communications
This position is located in the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER), within the Food and Drug Administration (FDA or the Agency) in Silver Spring, MD. The mission of the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER) is to perform an essential public health task by making sure that safe and effective drugs are available to improve the health of people in the United States. CDER regulates over-the-counter and prescription drugs, including biological therapeutics and generic drugs. The Director, Office of Communications, directs the Center's public education, regulatory information, media relations and key external stakeholder engagement programs for human drug products in the nation.
- Participates in, and contributes to, top level Center and Agency meetings, conferences, and workshops on broad public health, education, scientific policy matters and issues with global scope.
- Collaborates with the Center Director and other key CDER and FDA officials in identifying needs, formulating, and developing plans and strategies, policies, program content, direction, priorities and goals to ensure objectives are accomplished.
- Develops, implements, executes, and administers public health education, regulatory information, external communications plans and programs pertaining to the drug products for the patients, consumers, the medical community, and industry.
- Analyzes and provides authoritative evaluations and recommendations concerning planned, existing or past programs, campaigns, and activities to execute CDER vision for public health education and external relations.
- Develops and disseminates public education campaigns to explain regulations, reduce initiation, and increase awareness of media relations and web communications.
- Represents the Center Director, FDA, and participates as the Center's authority on all matters related to the communication and public health education.
- Provides executive leadership and technical direction on his/her staff of professional, technical, and supports staff in developing and implementing broad national programs for public health education to execute public health missions.
- Directs, reviews, and evaluates the Division of Health Communications and Division of Online Communications activities on achievement of program goals and objectives and assigned functional responsibilities.