Digital Marketing & Content Manager
The Digital Marketing & Content Manager will serve an essential role on WRI’s Communications team and will help to advance the organization’s mission of creating a sustainable planet where all people can thrive. In this position, you will help to strengthen and expand the organization’s use of digital marketing tactics and insights across the organization’s online channels; e.g., through its websites, social, email, newsletters, and more. This new and highly collaborative position within the institute will combine strategic and tactical expertise to integrate existing staff capabilities (i.e., staff that manage social, email and editorial functions) and deliver content that is on-brand, user-centric and data-driven. Reporting to the Director of Digital Communications, you will be well-versed in how to use marketing techniques to design digital properties that engage audiences, including driving traffic and online donations. This position requires someone with hands-on expertise with commercial and non-profit marketing best practices; is able to present a clear strategic vision; and has strong written and verbal communication skills. You will understand how to identify metrics and analytics to inform decisions around web content. Prior experience with branding and advertising is also highly desirable.
You will be based in WRI’s Washington DC office, where you will sit within WRI’s core communication team, and collaborate closely with staff in WRI’s programs, centers and international offices. You will also work closely with WRI’s Development team to support our global fundraising efforts.
- Establish an overall marketing-driven point of view and strategy for outreach and content across WRI digital channels (e.g., social properties, email newsletters, WRI.org). Ensure outreach is tuned to deliver on key metrics
- Working with WRI’s Development team, help shape and implement a more robust strategy for online giving that targets both acquisition and cultivation of individual donors
- Extend marketing efforts and sensibilities to additional digital properties and institutional programs, such as our international sites and data platforms (e.g., resourcewatch.org), by way of governance, guidelines and consultation
- Serve as the organization’s digital marketing subject-matter expert
- Experience working with diverse and distributed teams required.
- Create plans for and lead the implementation of various cross-channel marketing efforts and campaigns throughout the year, such as annual giving, the launch of various WRI knowledge products and reports, and more
- Provide guidance for the Institute’s external advertising and marketing efforts, especially on social media
- Continue to optimize our marketing efforts through testing and user insights
- Help grow burgeoning marketing efforts in the areas of social advertising, paid search and more
- Stay at the forefront of trends and best practices through ongoing study and community participation (e.g., attending meet-ups or other events, contributing to M+R’s yearly Benchmarks report)
- Serve as WRI’s in-house expert for Google Analytics (GA) and Google Tag Manager (GTM)
- Lead the collection and management of data and mine insights from this material, and take those insights and craft and communicate a broader narrative through the lens of organizational priorities and goals
- Leverage other sources of data and platforms (e.g., Hootsuite, Pardot, Salesforce) to establish a more holistic perspective on marketing performance
- Help establish baselines and success metrics surrounding the revamp of WRI.org
- Lead and evolve WRI’s ongoing analytics reporting and related communications (e.g., sharing performance across teams & programs and to upper management). Similarly, lead a community of practice within WRI that brings together individuals who work with digital analytics (either formally or informally) to share ideas, tactics and trends
- Working in close collaboration with WRI’s Senior Editor & Content Manager, ensure our web content is appealing, persuasive and performance-minded, and at the same time aligned with the organization’s mission, voice, tone and style
- Working with the broader communications team, help determine the most effective format of content we produce (for the right channel and the right audience), ranging from written pieces to visual assets to video to interactive infographics
- Assume a leadership role in helping to shape the overarching content strategy and information architecture for the new WRI.org -- a revamp that begins in later 2019
- Help to improve the existing experience, usability and performance of WRI.org by way of improved placement and presentation of content and conversion opportunities (e.g., increased use of video, improved homepage content strategy, integrated email sign-ups at key touchpoints)
- Help author various forms of written material (e.g., homepage call-outs & headlines, landing page copy)
- Help manage content on WRI.org
- Five+ years of relevant, full-time work experience
- Master’s degree in related field, or a bachelor’s degree with two+ additional years of experience
- Excellent communication skills and familiarity with AP style
- Extensive experience with Google Analytics (GA) and Google Tag Manager (GTM), including the ability to configure reports, create event tagging and goals, leverage advanced segments and more
- US work authorization is required for all WRI US opportunities. WRI cannot offer visa sponsorship for this opportunity.
- Prior experience managing teams and/or staff serving in digital marketing functions (e.g., day-to-day social media management)
- Experience with the broader Google Marketing Platform (e.g., Data Studio, Google Optimize) as well as working with regular expressions
- Familiarity with digital ad programs and platforms, Google Ad Grants and related tools
- Familiarity with the Drupal content management system (CMS)
- Experience running A/B tests and conducting user research
- Prior work experience at a mission-driven nonprofit organization
How to Apply
Please include a cover letter in your submission along with links to relevant past work and marketing campaigns or efforts. Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.