Corporate Marketing and Communications Lead
Westat is an employee-owned corporation providing research services to agencies of the U.S. Government, as well as businesses, foundations, and state and local governments. Westat's research, technical, and administrative staff of more than 2,000 is located at our headquarters in Rockville, Maryland, near Washington, DC.
Westat is seeking an experienced leader to oversee the development, implementation, and management of the corporate-wide marketing and communications framework that incorporates internal (e.g., intranet, executive and HR communications), external (e.g., website, social media, conferences and events), project (e.g., creative services requirements for project deliverables), and proposal (e.g., editing, graphics, and document production) needs.
- Work with executive leadership and business leaders to develop a strategy that sets forth the company’s internal and external marketing and communications needs consistent with the corporate strategy for future growth and development.
- Lead the annual corporate communications planning for marketing materials development, social media activities, conferences, events, and other related efforts reflective of company needs as a whole, as well as individual practices.
- Oversee the corporate website, including developing, updating, and maintaining content, and recommending design and function changes to improve user experience.
- Provide oversight in the management, updating, and conformance of Westat’s branding guidelines. Includes providing strategic branding counsel to internal stakeholders, offering recommendations and solutions based on target audience needs/preferences.
- Serve as the lead point of contact for media inquiries and public relations activities and work through senior management to ensure proper and timely responses.
- Oversee internal/employee communication strategy, staff, and systems.
- Assess current and future staffing needs and identify strategies to better integrate staff performing various marketing and communications functions that strengthen responsiveness and service quality.
- Direct the development and implementation of efficient workflow procedures, systems, and tools needed to manage receipt, tracking, and completion of requests for marketing and communications-related products and services.
- Establish and report on metrics for tracking schedules, staff resources, and costs.
- Lead and direct the work of communications staff and responsibility for personnel actions including hiring, performance management, retention, and termination.
- Mentor and engage staff in activities that drive organizational goals. Foster transparent communications and encourage collaboration across the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, or related disciplines. Master’s degree preferred.
- 15 years of relevant experience plus 8 years of management experience required. 5 years of professional services or government contracting/public sector marketing experience preferred.
- Experience hiring, training, developing, supervising, and appraising writers, editors, designers, digital media specialists, and other related personnel.
- Experience developing, managing, and monitoring schedules and budgets.
- Experience overseeing the design and production of print and digital materials and publications for the variety of stakeholders the company reaches, including policymakers, practitioners, researchers, and the public.
- Familiarity with the systems, applications, and tools to support digital design and web-based platforms.
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge, and experience in the design and execution of marketing, communications and public relations activities.
- Strong creative, strategic, analytical, and project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with colleagues; strong team player; inclusiveness and flexibility.
- Demonstrated success influencing without authority in highly matrixed organizations.
- Understanding of diverse audiences and ability to communicate with creativity, simplicity and clarity.
- Customer service orientation and the ability to build relationships with all stakeholders.
Westat offers competitive benefits with ESOP, 401k, Health, Dental, paid vacation, sick and holiday leave, professional development as well as other benefits.
Any offer of employment may be contingent upon receipt of acceptable results from a post-offer background screening, if required for the position, based on the specific position which may include, for example, identity verification, employment history, or criminal records history.
Westat is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender identity, or any other protected status under applicable law.