Will support NOAA's Office of Education to advance communication for higher education programs and provide back-up support to the Director of NOAA Education in Congressional Affairs. Specific responsibilities include:
Office of Education - Higher Education Communications (80%)
* Manage Hollings and EPP/MSI website.
* Work with program managers to develop news and stories that highlight program accomplishments.
* Develop content about the higher ed portfolio for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other platforms.
* Track and analyze stats for Higher Education social media and noaa.gov/education-related sites.
* Participate in the Office of Education Communication and Editorial Teams.
* Network with participants and alumni at events.
* Track the alumni network and help maintain data in the Office's Student Tracker database.
* Develop recruitment materials.
* Represent Office of Education at conferences related to workforce development.
Congressional Affairs Support (20%)
* Provide support and act as the back-up for the Office Congressional Affairs lead.
* Gather information and develop messaging to support the Director of Education on briefings to Congress that communicate the value of NOAA Education.
* Prepare briefing booklets and background materials targeted to specific Senate and House offices.
* Work with program managers across NOAA to provide state- and district-specific data on education programs.
* Manage questions for the record and other data calls from Congress, the White House, and external organizations.
1+ years of experience writing and editing communication materials. Experience with research, data analysis and fact-checking. Experience developing and publishing social media communications. Ability to complete research and gather information independently as well as thrive in a highly collaborative and dynamic workplace. Ability to manage multiple deadlines. Must have strong communication skills, both verbal and written as well as strong interpersonal skills. Experience with or enthusiasm for education. Ability to travel outside the DC metro area 1-2 times per year. NOAA experience helpful.
* Cover letter
* Resume or CV
* 1-2 recent writing samples that showcase writing skills
Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident and be able to pass a background investigation to obtain a security badge to enter the applicable government facility.
BS in Science, Communications, related discipline, or equivalent.