Perform the processing activities required for end to end procure to payment for all valid orders and invoices placed and received for assigned labs and departments. Provide direct support to specifically assigned labs and departments for all Purchasing questions. Provide input to the supplier relationship team on supplier activity levels, proposed contract development, contract administration and supplier quality. Maintain constructive collaborative relationships across procurement and Institute-wide operations, leveraging these relationships to ensure continual operational focus.
This position may be located at our Headquarters in Chevy Chase, MD or in Ashburn, VA at Janelia Research Campus and will require availability to work 9am to 5:30pm or 11:30am to 8pm.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide consistent high quality service within targeted productivity, efficiency and accuracy metrics, meeting or exceeding SLA’s.
- Manage daily acquisition of goods and services in support of HHMI labs and departments.
- Serve as primary procurement contact to the labs and departments for issues/questions. May resolve the question directly, refer to another PSP or escalate to Manager, while maintaining “ownership” of the question until final resolution.
- Advise laboratory and department staff on HHMI preferred suppliers and products. Promote the use of existing contracted suppliers and supplier catalogs available on P2P.
- Manage procurement requests and determine most effective means to procure the desired goods or services.
- Expedite orders and resolve issues when appropriate.
- Manage invoicing problems and ensure invoice reconciliation is resolved in a timely manner, working with Sourcing in the case of AN catalog suppliers and Accounts Payable for other transactions as necessary.
- Oversee pro-card purchases and reconciles statements.
- Resolve purchase order remaining obligations expeditiously.
- Negotiate pricing agreements with non-contract/catalog suppliers as necessary.
- Develop in depth knowledge of the goods and services procured at the Institute and the needs of assigned commodities.
- Provide input on the development of purchasing policy, procedures and guidelines.
- Analyze spending patterns for supported labs and coordinate with supplier relationship group and PSP to help lab and department managers assess possible improvements or cost savings.
- Communicate and meet with designated laboratory and department members to inform of changes in HHMI’s procurement policies and pro
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in purchasing, business or related discipline.
- Three to five years of procurement experience, preferably in an academic or research environment.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite programs and procurement systems.
Skills & Abilities:
- Good communication, interpersonal, and analytical skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others across the organization to achieve shared objectives.
- Establishes and maintains effective customer relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver end results with accuracy and efficiency.
- Actively seeks new ways to grow and be challenged using both formal and informal development channels.
- Exercise good judgment in safeguarding confidential or sensitive information and adhere to high standards of confidentiality and honesty.
- Ability to work outside of traditional “9 to 5” workday.