Bender ECC Lead Pre-K Teacher
Position Summary: Preschool Lead Teacher in classroom for the 2019-2020 academic year.
Essential Functions of the Position:
- Meeting all Bender JCC and Maryland State Department of Education licensing requirements.
- Supervising, directing and mentoring the associate and assistant teachers in the performance of their duties, giving oral and written feedback on a consistent basis, and informing the Director when performance issues arise.
- Accepting the supervision, direction and mentoring of the Director of Early Childhood Education and the ECC Curriculum Director.
- Keeping required attendance records and reports on the children in your class.
- Coordinating daily plans with the assistant teachers and other support staff who may work in the classroom.
- Creating an educational experience for the students and their families in line with the current school philosophy.
- Encouraging the use of Jewish content in the curriculum.
- Working with the student, the parents, administration and Learning Specialist, and any outside providers that the family may be working with to support the learning and growth of children in the class. This may require meetings outside of class time.
- Communicating with parents on a regular basis through a weekly newsletter/blog and as needed through emails, conferences and phone calls.
- Keeping progress records on each child to be shared at Parent-Teacher Conferences at two scheduled times during the school year.
- Participating in school set-up prior to opening day and school clean up at the end of the year.
- Attending to the personal hygiene of students, as needed, including but not limited to changing soiled clothes and diapers.
- Leaving only when an authorized adult has picked up each child, or his/her care has been entrusted to a teacher, an assistant teacher or an administrator on the school staff.
- Taking part in the daily clean-up of the classroom, which includes but is not limited to, putting all toys and equipment away, making sure all food items are wrapped and put away in accordance to licensing and wiping down the tables and chairs. In addition, the refrigerator and freezer is to be checked weekly to remove old or unwanted items.
- Taking responsibility for keeping all public areas neat and clean, including cubbies, hallways and playground.
- Attending all staff meetings and conferences and participating in meetings during school and after school hours.
- Attendance at the ECC Meet and Greet, Back to School Night and other school events beyond school hours as determined by the ECC Director. In addition, you must participate in at least one Center-wide program, such as Chanukah, Purim or Good Deeds Day.
- Filling out and submitting all necessary paperwork within the established timeframes. Failure to fill out and submit paperwork can result in delay of pay.
Leaving the school during the work day without prior permission of the ECC Director; solicitation of gratuities; striking or verbally abusing a child; sexual misconduct; possession, use or being under the influence of drugs or alcohol; or other misconduct while at work or during work-related responsibilities are just causes for immediate termination of this agreement
Educational Degree(s), Professional Degree(s), or Certificate(s) Required:
- Obtaining and maintaining current First Aid and CPR training and certification.
- 4 year College Degree in Early Childhood Education or
- 4 year College Degree with 90-hour certificate in early childhood curriculum & development* and 1 year experience working with preschool children in an approved center or equivalent work experience.
* If you do not have the 90-hour certificate in early childhood curriculum & development or the equivalent college courses, you must begin the class during your first 6 months of employment and complete it with a passing grade within the first year of employment.
- Knowledge of, and respect for, the mission of the Bender JCC.
- Knowledge of the rules and regulations of the Bender JCC, including its Personnel Handbook, and to abide by them
- Work in a team environment.
- Communicate effectively with others, verbally and in writing
- Observe and enforce the Bender JCC’s kashrut policy.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as needed, required, or assigned