Associate Oral Historian
The American Institute of Physics (AIP) is seeking an ambitious, innovative and collaborative Associate Oral Historian with a passion for gathering, preserving and interpreting the voices and memories of people, communities and participants of past events in the physical sciences.
The successful applicant will benefit from professional mentoring, the opportunity to gain experience conceptualizing and executing new oral history projects, develop relationships with institutional stakeholders that employ physicists, and collaborate across AIP divisions to create projects and initiatives that advance the efforts of AIP’s outreach, publishing, marketing, engagement, fundraising, and educational endeavors.
Proposal Packet Must Include: Cover letter, resume and a completed application.
What is AIP?
We are the American Institute of Physics. Our mission is to advance, promote, and serve the physical sciences for the benefit of humanity. We promote the physical sciences through effective communication, education, and policy initiatives.
Why Work for AIP?
We want you to love working here, and we have a workplace culture that reflects that. With our commitment to community service, monthly catered lunches, and an on-site fitness center, we work hard to make sure AIP is an awesome place to work. Did we mention that you will work with amazingly talented colleagues in a variety of departments?
We offer an incredible total compensation package including competitive pay, multiple healthcare options to meet your needs, commuter benefits, free parking, tuition assistance, and an outstanding retirement plan.
We encourage and invite people from diverse backgrounds to apply and join our team. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, creed, marital status, gender identity or expression, political affiliation, personal appearance, national origin, ancestry, protected veteran status, physical or mental disability.
- D. in oral history, history of science, or related area, specializing in topics relevant to the History of Science with demonstrated facility in oral history interviewing
- 3 years’ experience with oral history interviewing
- Ability to work effectively in an interdisciplinary setting with archivists, librarians, historians, and other professionals
- Demonstrated record of scholarship and knowledge of best practices in oral history interviewing, transcription, archiving, and publication
- Familiarity with digital research tools and online platforms used for digital history
- Proofreading and oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and attentiveness to detail
[Company Details & Benefits]
The American Institute of Physics offers excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, retirement, tuition assistance, on-site fitness center, and metro access. Learn more at www.aip.org