Assistant Manager, Revenue Accounting
Start Your Journey With Us
The Financial Contract Compliance (FCC) department works with various stakeholders (corporate departments, continent leadership and regional teams, property management, legal) to ensure financial contractual responsibilities are executed and financial results are recorded in compliance with U.S. GAAP. The organization supports corporate processes in partnership with the continent organizations worldwide across all brands, as well as the respective Finance Business Partners, Global Finance Centers of Expertise, and Accenture Hospitality Services (AHS).
As a member of the FCC Revenue Accounting team, the Assistant Manager will play an integral role in the accurate and timely accounting, forecasting and analysis of Marriott’s (MI) revenues. This position will assist with all aspects of revenue recognition and validation in accordance with contractual agreements, US GAAP, and MI accounting policies. The Assistant Manager will support the proper recognition and projection of MI revenues in collaboration with hotel Directors of Finance and Regional Offices. The Assistant Manager will also collaborate with other Global Finance Centers of Expertise and Finance Business Partners to accomplish business objectives.
- Execute MI’s monthly close process to ensure results are reflected accurately for MI’s revenues in accordance with contracts and US GAAP. Perform month close processes, such as analyzing revenue results and researching variances to understand underlying business drivers.
- Execute all monthly and annual revenue planning activities to ensure revenue projections accurately reflect MI’s forecasted revenue. Support the preparation of revenue scenario analyses for the long-range plan, business plan, budget, and monthly forecast cycles.
- Analyze and report on significant revenue fluctuations during close and forecast cycles.
- Implement and maintain standard processes to ensure accurate and timely recognition and projection of MI’s revenues in a dynamic multi-currency, multi-entity environment.
- Research and document unique accounting treatment, coordinating with Global Finance Centers of Expertise, Finance Business Partners and regional points of contact.
- Coordinate tracking and reconciliation of deferred revenue in compliance with contractual provisions.
- Coordinate balance sheet account reconciliations and ensure balances are accurate and reconciliations contain proper support. Partner with AHS and leadership to ensure completeness and accuracy of account reconciliations.
- Support audit related requests and questions.
- Review contractual agreements to understand revenue recognition requirements, including standard and complex deal arrangements.
- Develop knowledge and expertise in revenue reporting requirements for properties within the growing MI portfolio.
- Ensure compliance with executed agreements on an individual property and/or pooled basis.
- Partner with continent finance teams on specific aspects of property-level agreements including, contract management, cash waterfalls, revenue recognition, and deferrals.
- Establish strong working relationships with the various corporate disciplines and regional offices.
- Focus on providing excellent customer service to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Translate contract terms into formulas utilized by Excel model and system-based calculations.
- Ensure calculations are in accordance with key contractual provisions to facilitate accurate revenue recognition and analysis, focusing on enhanced reporting and process improvement.
- Participate in and support Global Finance initiatives, including the implementation of an automated contract engine.
- Assist in identifying system enhancements to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of close and forecast cycles.
- Prioritize issue resolution and focus on innovation and continuous process improvement.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required to meet business objectives.
- 4+ years of relevant finance/accounting experience
- Strong understanding of accounting processes and systems
- Experience in lodging/hospitality industry and interpretation of contracts/legal agreements strongly preferred
- B.S. Degree in Accounting, Finance or related discipline preferred
- CPA or advanced degree preferred
- Strong financial acumen with proven analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong technical accounting skills; understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and related controls.
- Ability to translate complex contract provisions into Excel and system-based formulas.
- Broad understanding of accounting and the correlation of operating Financial Statements.
- Strong organizational skills and effectiveness in prioritizing and managing multiple priorities.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy while maintaining the “big” picture at the same time.
- Ability to influence others and function effectively in a collaborative work environment.
- Able to work independently, but effectively work in a team environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a “win-win” negotiating style.
- Ability to embrace continuous process improvement.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Motivated team player.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications; advanced Excel skills a strong plus.
- Previous PeopleSoft and/or SmartView experience preferred.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.