Sunflower Bakery (sunflowerbakery.org) prepares young adults with learning differences for employment through the pastry arts and Café Sunflower employment training programs. The pastry program includes 26 weeks of professional instruction, skills training and a paid in-house internship, and serves 20 to 22 students annually. Café Sunflower offers three months of formal instruction to eight young adults and four to six interns annually, and the opportunity to continue on for six months of paid employment and training.
Serves: Montgomery County
What a donation buys:
- $250 covers tools for one student to practice skills.
- $1,000 buys instructional ingredients/supplies for one pastry arts student.
- $10,000 underwrites a half scholarship for one low-income pastry arts student.
- One day: Introduce Sunflower at career/high school fairs.
- Weekly: Assist employees at Café Sunflower.