Nourish Now (nourishnow.org) works to eliminate two major social problems: food waste and hunger. Staff and volunteers recover food from local grocery stores, farms and other sources, and donate nutritious food to more than 700 families monthly. With its help, 90-plus nonprofit partner organizations saved more than $200,000 worth of food last year. Since 2011, Nourish Now has recovered and donated more than 1 million pounds of food.
Serves: Montgomery County
What a donation buys:
- $250 provides for the recovery of 5,000 meals from local caterers.
- $1,000 provides 80 families with a home-style Thanksgiving dinner.
- $7,500 provides more than 4,000 meals to be distributed free at summer camps.
- One day: Process produce.
- One day: Repackage recovered meals.