Latin American Youth Center/Maryland Multicultural Youth Centers (layc-dc.org) reaches 4,500 at-risk youths in the region through job readiness training, paid internships, work experience, GED instruction, college preparation, case management, mentoring and leadership development. LAYC helped 165 county teens obtain paid summer internships in 2015 at local businesses, government offices and nonprofits.
Headquartered: Washington, D.C.
Serves: Metro region
What a donation buys:
- $250 provides public transportation fare cards for three young people for a year.
- $1,000 allows 20 youths to take the GED exam.
- $10,000 pays for Microsoft certification for low-income youths.
- One day: Become a motivational guest speaker to the youth program.
- Weekly: Tutor a high school or GED student (background clearance required).