CASA (wearecasa.org) works to improve the quality of life in working class and immigrant communities. For its 90,000-plus members, CASA provides job placement, vocational training, citizenship assistance, family social services and other critical legal, education and health services. It operates four centers in Montgomery County.
Headquartered: Hyattsville Serves: Maryland, Northern Virginia and south central Pennsylvania
What a donation buys:
- $250 provides assistance for three legal permanent residents to become U.S. Citizens
- $1,000 provides 12 weeks of English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) instruction to eight low-income immigrants.
- $5,000 supports teen community leadership training for 30 immigrant adolescents.
- Weekly: Serve as a mentor to immigrant high school students.
- Monthly: Assist with a résumé workshop.