ArtStream (art-stream.org) offers creative, collaborative performance opportunities for 1,200 people with intellectual and developmental disabilities—including autism—to improve communication, self-advocacy and social skills. Six inclusive theater companies, four cabaret companies and more than 800 drama and social skills classes and workshops serve students of all ages, especially adults. Programs build listening, flexibility, focus and problem-solving skills.
Headquartered: Chevy Chase
Serves: Metro region
What a donation buys:
- $250 supports a three-hour workshop people to improve public speaking.
- $500 underwrites two classes to build social skills, friendships and confidence.
- $1,000 provides two hours of rehearsals for a performance.
- One day: Help people practice social skills in a three-hour workshop.
- Weekly: Serve as a role model and mentor in a two-hour class.