Managing Editor, Bethesda Magazine
Bethesda Magazine is growing! We’re looking for an experienced, talented and dynamic managing editor to help manage our editorial operations, and to help develop and edit the magazine’s content.
Bethesda Magazine is a successful bi-monthly magazine that is committed to high-quality community journalism, and to providing a collaborative, supportive and flexible work environment for its employees.
Responsibilities of the job include:
· Helping to run the day-to-day operations of the editorial department
· Working with the editor-in-chief, editor and associate editor to come up with and plan editorial content, including cover sections, long-form features and service content
· Managing and editing all service content, including Best of Bethesda, Top Doctors, Top Dentists, Top Real Estate Producers and Top Attorneys
· Helping to oversee editorial workflow, e.g., assigning stories, setting and enforcing deadlines, and guiding the magazine through the proofing process
· Being the primary liaison between the editorial and art departments
· Helping to choose photos and approve layouts as well as write headlines, decks and captions
· Editing numerous stories per issue. Helping writers shape complicated stories into compelling long-form magazine features by addressing big-picture issues
· Being the primary editor for the Newcomers Guide, Bethesda Magazine’s annual publication for people who have recently moved to Montgomery County
Candidates should have substantial experience:
· As an editor of a consumer magazine
· Recruiting and managing freelance writers
· Coming up with story ideas and packages
· Editing long-form narrative stories
· Planning, managing and editing service content
· Managing editorial copy flow and an editorial staff
· Managing an expense budget
· Working closely and collaboratively with an art department
Qualified candidates should send a cover letter, resume and salary requirement to Steve Hull, editor-in-chief and publisher of Bethesda Magazine, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates will be considered only if all three elements are provided.