DIFFICULTY LEVEL: *
ON THE CLOCK: 1 hour and 15 minutes
One head of cauliflower, cut into large florets
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
Juice of one lemon
1 bulb of garlic, peeled into cloves
10 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 teaspoon of curry powder
Salt, pepper and cayenne to taste
Note: Cauliflower comes in a variety of colors, and a mixture of colors makes for an appealing presentation as well as a variety of flavors and texture.
4 medium-size beets (about 3 inches in diameter)
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
Note: Beets also come in a variety of colors. If using multiple colors, keep them separate throughout the process, as red beets will color anything they come in contact with.
Note: The cauliflower and beets can be cooked in the oven at the same time.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir. Allow to marinate for 15 minutes, tossing occasionally to mix the dressing and evenly coat the pieces of cauliflower.
3. Transfer the cauliflower to a sheet tray lined with parchment paper, and place uncovered in the oven.
4. Cook for 45 minutes or until pieces are tender and lightly browned.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
6. Rinse the beets of any loose dirt, and trim the very top and the very bottom.
7. Wrap each beet in aluminum foil.
8. Roast in the oven for one hour.
9. Remove the beets from the oven and allow them to cool.
10. Discard the foil and gently peel the skin from the beets.
11. Slice the beets into slabs about ¼-inch thick.
12. Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut the beets into heart shapes.
13. Toss the sliced beets in the olive oil and sherry wine vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve atop cauliflower.