Updated: Two injured, one critically, in Kensington fire
Woman’s clothing caught fire, official says
A woman was critically injured when her clothing caught on fire in Kensington Tuesday
Photo via Pete Piringer
A woman known for using a “fire baton” during performances was critically injured when her clothing caught fire on Tuesday afternoon in Kensington, an official said.
When firefighters responded to an emergency call on Summit Avenue around 1 p.m., they found a “well-involved” shed fire, according to Twitter posts from Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesman Pete Piringer.
A woman was taken to a hospital with priority one injuries, considered the most critical condition.
The woman is a “known twirler performer” who “uses a ‘fire’ baton,” Piringer wrote in a tweet around 3:30 p.m.
Piringer wrote on Twitter Wednesday morning that the woman was still in critical condition in a burn unit. He added that she was likely preparing to douse a baton in kerosene when her “combustible” clothing caught on fire.
Professional fire baton twirlers often dip their batons in kerosene or other flammable substances when igniting them.
Piringer could not immediately be reached for comment Wednesday morning.
A man was taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries to his arms and hands, according to Piringer.
Damage was estimated at $10,000, according to Piringer.
Staff reporter Dan Schere contributed to this story
Caitlynn Peetz can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
This story will be updated.