2020 | Police & Fire

Man dies four weeks after he is rescued from Gaithersburg house fire

Space heater ignited bed and bedding, according to fire official

share this

A man who died on Thursday had been rescued from a Gaithersburg townhouse fire on Dec. 2, according to a fire official.

Photos from Pete Piringer/Montgomery County Fire & Rescue Service

A man who was saved from a Gaithersburg house fire in early December has died four weeks later, according to a fire official.

Firefighters rescued the man from a burning basement in a townhouse fire at 854 Bayridge Drive on Dec. 2, according to Pete Piringer, a spokesman for Montgomery County Fire & Rescue Service.

Bayridge Drive is in the Fernshire Farms development, just off Quince Orchard Road.

Piringer posted an update on Twitter on Friday, saying that the man died on Thursday. His tweet did not identify the man.

In a tweet at the time of the fire, Piringer wrote that the man was likely in a bedroom when the fire started and he tried to escape. The man was found on the floor.

The fire was believed to have been started by a space heater that ignited a corner of a bed and bedding material.

Piringer wrote in his tweet at the time that the fire caused more than $500,000 in damage.

The man was one of two people who were injured. He was critically injured with burns and smoke inhalation, Piringer wrote in a post.

Two people who were in an upstairs area of the home got out safely, Piringer’s tweet said.

The fire was one of four in 2020 in Montgomery County in which someone died, according to Piringer.