Montgomery County police said they have charged four men in connection with eight thefts at convenience stores, including one place that was hit twice.
Police described at least two of the cases as robberies. In other incidents, it is not clear whether the men confronted employees at the convenience stores.
Three men from Washington, D.C., and one from Prince George’s County were charged.
Willie O. McKinnon, 55, of Oxon Hill, and Prince J. Singletary, 35 of D.C., are each facing armed robbery and assault charges.
Joseph A. Crenshaw, 57, was charged with theft and Emanuel Harried, 26, both of D.C., was charged with attempted theft.
Police said in a press release on Thursday that the four men were involved in the eight thefts, which happened between Jan. 12 and 30.
Police said the four men stole “large quantities” of cigarettes and lottery tickets. In some cases, they cashed the lottery tickets or tried to.
Police said the thefts occurred:
- 12, when two men went into 7-Eleven at 10524 Connecticut Ave. in Kensington and assaulted a worker. The men stole cigarettes and lottery tickets before fleeing in a vehicle and cashing the tickets at a gas station in Prince George’s County.
- 15, when two men went into the 7-Eleven at 11421 Rockville Pike. The men told the employees to leave, and the workers complied, police said. The men took cigarettes and lottery tickets, fled the store and cashed some of the tickets at the same gas station in Prince George’s County an hour later.
- 16, when two men went into the 7-Eleven at 3507 University Blvd. in Kensington. They took cigarettes, lottery tickets and cash before fleeing. Then they tried to cash the tickets at the same Prince George’s County gas station on two consecutive days, but were unsuccessful.
- 18, when two men went into the Exxon gas station convenience store at 448 N. Frederick Ave. in Gaithersburg and stole cigarettes and lottery tickets. Then they fled in a vehicle driven by another person.
- 23, when two men went into the 7-Eleven at 405. N. Frederick Ave. in Gaithersburg and stole cigarettes and lottery tickets.
- 24, when two men went into the 7-Eleven at 650 University Blvd. in Silver Spring and stole lottery tickets, cigarettes and money.
- 26, when a man went into the 7-Eleven at 3507 University Blvd. in Kensington and stole cigarettes.
Police did not specify which of the men were involved in each of the thefts.
Police said that after the first seven thefts, detectives obtained fingerprints from one suspect that were on the cashed lottery tickets and identified him as McKinnon on Jan. 28.
On Jan. 30, police said two men went into the 7-Eleven at 7980 Georgia Ave. in Silver Spring and stole cigarettes and lottery tickets. Officers followed the men in their vehicle to the same gas station in Prince George’s County, where they arrested Crenshaw, Harried and McKinnon.
Crenshaw and Harried were released from custody after posting bond, police said.
Singletary was arrested on Feb. 16 on a warrant, police said.
Crenshaw has been charged with one count of theft, Harried with one count of attempted theft, McKinnon with two counts each of armed robbery and first-degree assault, and Singletary with one count each of armed robbery and first-degree assault according to court records.
Neither court dates nor attorney information was listed for the suspects as of Thursday afternoon.
Dan Schere can be reached at email@example.com