2021 | Police & Fire

UPDATED: Man dies after Potomac house fire

Fire on Kersey Lane also killed a dog

share this

Photo from Pete Piringer via Twitter

This story was updated at 8:05 p.m. on May 17, 2021, to include information on the victim’s death and again at 11:07 a.m. on May 18, 2021, to include the victim’s name.

A house fire in Potomac killed a 75-year-old man on Monday, according to a Montgomery County Fire & Rescue official.

When firefighters extinguished the fire, they rescued Ragheb Abou Zeineddine from the second floor, Fire & Rescue spokesman Pete Piringer posted on Twitter. Zeineddine was taken to a hospital.

But Zeineddine later died from his injuries, likely as a result of smoke inhalation, Piringer wrote.

A Goldendoodle, a dog that belonged to the family, also died in the fire, which was in the 1400 block of Kersey Lane.

Firefighters were called to the home for a report of a fire in the basement around 4:45 p.m. on Monday, Piringer told Bethesda Beat.

No one else was in the house at the time of the fire, according to Piringer.

Piringer posted on Tuesday that he thinks the fire started in an electrical outlet on the basement wall. It caused around $210,000 in damage, he wrote.

Dan Schere can be reached at daniel.schere@bethesdamagazine.com