Update: Cleaning Products Blamed for Potent Odor at Chevy Chase Apartment Building

Update: Cleaning Products Blamed for Potent Odor at Chevy Chase Apartment Building

Reports of illness by some tenants in Willard Apartments

| Published: |
0

Updated at 4:43 p.m. Wednesday: County fire and rescue emergency medical workers along with a crew from the Hazardous Incident Response Team evaluated residents at the Willard Apartment building in Chevy Chase after reports of illness potentially caused by a gas leak.

At 4:05 p.m. however, Montgomery Fire and Rescue Services spokesman Pete Piringer reported that emergency workers determined a potent odor in the building was caused by commercial-grade cleaning solutions. Washington Gas workers investigated and determined there was no gas leak, according to Bernie Tylor, media relations manager for the gas company.

Piringer said there were no hazardous meter readings or related illnesses among the building’s residents. Dozens of tenants evacuated the building and 12 were medically evaluated.

Emergency workers concentrated on determining the source of the odor, which came from between the eighth and 12th floors, Piringer said.

Editor’s note: The story was updated to reflect that cleaning products were the source of the odor. 

Back to Bethesda Beat >>

Newsletters





Leading Professionals »

Dining Guide


Facebook