Blaze Guts Gaithersburg Barbershop

Blaze Guts Gaithersburg Barbershop

Electrical fire caused $300,000 in damages, authorities estimate

| Published:

The fire at Platinum Barber Shop caused an estimated $300,000 in damages.

Via Pete Piringer

An early morning fire at a Gaithersburg barbershop Tuesday caused around $300,000 in damage, according to county fire officials.

More than 75 firefighters responded to the two-alarm blaze around 5:10 a.m. at the Gaitherstowne Plaza shopping center. The fire was largely contained to the building where the fire started, Platinum Barber Shop at 284 N Frederick Ave.

The electrical fire was likely caused by a power strip at one of the shop’s work stations, county fire and rescue spokesman Pete Piringer reported.

Nearby grocery store Deshi Bazar, Signature Salon and the Gaithersburg Animal Hospital all had water and smoke damage.

No injuries were reported and all of the animals from the hospital were unharmed, Piringer said.

County building inspectors condemned the barbershop and prohibited public access to Kenny’s Sub Shop at 288 N. Frederick Ave.

Charlie Wright can be reached at charlie.wright@bethesdamagazine.com

Back to Bethesda Beat >>

Testing

Web Publisher Pro

Marketing Coordinator

Wydler Brothers of Compass

Administrator II

MedStar Health

Athletics Office and Communications Assistant

Stone Ridge School of the Sacred Heart

Leading Professionals »

Newsletters

Dining Guide