A fire at an apartment building in Takoma Park killed a dog and displaced multiple families Wednesday night, according to a Montgomery County Fire & Rescue official.
Fire & Rescue spokesman Pete Piringer posted on Twitter that firefighters were called to Blair Garden Apartments on Eastern Avenue near the D.C. border around 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday night. D.C. and Prince George’s County firefighters also responded, he wrote.
The fire started in a second-floor bedroom, where multiple appliances were plugged into a power strip near the bed. The power strip malfunctioned while it was plugged in, Piringer wrote.
A dog died in the fire and one firefighter was injured, Piringer wrote. No residents were injured, but many families were displaced.
Piringer posted that the fire caused about $700,000 in damage.
In another post, Piringer advised people to not plug multiple appliances into a power strip or extension cord, because they’re not equipped to handle a large volume of electric current and can overheat.
Dan Schere can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org