This story was updated at 5 p.m. July 28, 2021, to include when the new directors will begin work.
Four regional service centers across Montgomery County will soon have new leaders.
The Montgomery Council Council on Tuesday unanimously approved County Executive Marc Elrich’s appointments of four regional service center directors.
Regional service centers are liaisons between county government and residents in their respective regions, working with community groups and public agencies to address local issues. Directors manage the staff and help lead operations.
The four new regional directors are:
- Luisa Cardona, director of the Mid-County Regional Services Center in Wheaton. She will earn $145,000 annually. She comes from Atlanta, where she served as deputy director in the mayor’s office of immigrant affairs
- Peter Fosselman, director of the Bethesda-Chevy Chase Regional Services Center. He will make $149,000 annually. He has been mayor of Kensington and deputy secretary of state in the O’Malley and Hogan administrations. His last job was ombudsman for active county master plans in Elrich’s office
- Jacob Newman, director of the Silver Spring Regional Services Center. He will make $145,000 annually. He last served as managing director of the county’s Latin American Youth Center
- William Gregory Wims, director of the Sidney Kramer Upcounty Regional Services Center in Germantown. He will earn $145,000 annually. His last job was vice president for government affairs with Bold Concepts, a consulting business for nonprofits, small businesses and government agencies.
The four appointees are filling vacancies. The fifth director is Jewru Bandeh, who heads the East County Regional Services Center in Fairland.
The previous directors at the first four centers have more than 50 years of combined experience at those positions.
Ken Hartman, who was director at the Bethesda-Chevy Chase center, recently started as director of strategic partnerships in Elrich’s office.
Directors at the other three centers are retiring as of Saturday:
- Catherine Matthews, of the Sidney Kramer Upcounty Regional Services Center. She has been director since January 2001.
- Luisa Montero, of the Mid-County Regional Services Center. She has been director since 2015.
- Reemberto Rodriguez, of the Silver Spring Regional Services Center. He has been director since July 2009.
Scott Peterson, manager of media relations in Elrich’s office, wrote in an email that Wims and Fosselman will start work Aug. 2, and Newman and Cardona on Aug. 16.
Steve Bohnel can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org