Parking, water and waste fees would increase in Montgomery County if the County Council approves proposals from County Executive Marc Elrich.
The council will consider the fee changes for fiscal year 2022, which begins on July 1.
Under proposed changes, solid waste charges would increase 5% to 8.1% based on the services.
The charges would increase 5% to 8.1% for single-family residential property owners, according to a staff report. Multifamily property owners would see increases of 5% to 6.4%, while non-residential customers would have increases of 5.9%.
Tipping fees for construction and demolition material and waste material delivered in open-top containers would increase 8.6% — from $70 to $76.
The Water Quality Protection Charge rate would increase from $107.60 to $113.50 — a 5.9% increase.
Public hearings and votes on the waste and water charges are scheduled for 1:30 p.m. on April 6.
Elrich also has proposed a reduction for the maximum fare for Metrorail-to-Ride On bus transfers with a SmartTrip card from $1.75 to $1.50.
The maximum fare for Metrorail-to-Route 70 transfer with a SmartTrip card would drop from $4 to $3.75.
The county has three parking lot districts (PLD) that charge hourly, daily and monthly parking fees in gated garages and surface lots.
Under Elrich’s proposal, hours of parking enforcement for on-street parking and gated garages would expand by three or four hours in the Silver Spring area. It would also expand four hours in the Wheaton area.
The recommended changes include (current rate followed by proposed rate):
● $1.50 to $2 for maximum hourly rate in surface parking lots
● $1.25 to $1.75 for maximum hourly rate in parking garages
● $15 to $22.50 for daily maximum fee for gated garages
● $15 to $22.50 for daily parking permits
● $150 to $195 per month for monthly access cards for carriages and Parking Convenience Stickers
Silver Spring PLD
● $15 to $18.75 for daily maximum fee for gated garages
● $12 to $15 per day for daily parking permits
● Maximum hourly rate of $1.25 for on-street parking and $1 for garages and surface lots
● $113 to $132 per month for Parking Convenience Stickers
A public hearing and vote on the transportation fees and fares are scheduled for 1:30 p.m. on April 13.
Briana Adhikusuma can be reached at email@example.com.