2021 | Courts

Attempted murder conviction upheld for Rockville man

Court denies appeal questioning legality of search warrant

share this

A Rockville man’s attempted murder conviction has been upheld by the state’s Court of Special Appeals.

Anthony Harris, 28, was sentenced in 2019 to 25 years in prison for allegedly shooting at and attempting to kill a man who was dating his child’s mother.

In an appeal, his attorney argued that a search warrant executed at his home that found the gun used was not legal because it was based on “a hunch” and “not any direct evidence.”

He also argued that relying on interactions Harris had with the victim prior to the shooting to establish him as a suspect was not legal because it was not timely.

The appeals court disagreed and affirmed Harris’ conviction and sentence.

In the early-morning hours of March 8, 2019, Daquwan Williamson left his apartment in Germantown to meet a woman he had been dating, according to a summary of the case in the decision.

While Williamson was walking, someone in an SUV drove past him several times. Later, a man — who Williamson said was in the SUV earlier — fired several shots toward him from the street.

Williamson was not hit by the shots, but called 911 to report the shooting. He told police he thought he knew who tried to shoot him “because it looked like a person, but he doesn’t like me because I’m [dating] his girlfriend,” according to court documents.

He said he had met Harris previously and had conversations about the woman Williamson was dating, who was also the mother of Harris’ 3-year-old daughter.

The woman testified at trial that Harris “did not want her dating anyone else and that he did not like Williamson.” She said the afternoon of the shooting that Harris texted her: “When I’m done with him, you’re next” and called her to say, “Next time, I won’t miss,” court records say.

Two nearby home surveillance video cameras captured the shooting, including video of the suspect, who appeared to fit Harris’ description, according to court documents.

A forensic specialist said a handgun recovered from Harris’ home fired the bullets used in the shooting.

Harris was arrested and charged with attempted first-degree murder, first-degree assault, use of a handgun in the commission of a crime of violence and possession of a regulated firearm after a disqualifying crime. He was convicted by a jury on all charges.

He was sentenced to 25 years for attempted murder, and five years each for other charges, to be served concurrently.

Caitlynn Peetz can be reached at caitlynn.peetz@bethesdamagazine.com