Z-Pop Media, publisher of Bethesda Beat and Bethesda Magazine, is looking for an enterprising and talented managing editor for Bethesda Beat, the pre-eminent daily news source covering Montgomery County, Maryland. This editor will execute our editorial growth strategy across platforms; direct and edit timely content; and manage digital channels.
This role requires skill in driving for accountability, developing new audiences, understanding our communities, unearthing untold stories, shaping ambitious coverage, managing a team, and collaborating with colleagues in the digital, audience, visuals and marketing teams.
Who We Are
Bethesda Magazine is an award-winning long-form publication that covers the people, places and issues in Montgomery County, Maryland and upper northwest Washington, D.C. Bethesda Beat is an award-winning online local news site. Both are published by Z-Pop Media, the most trusted media company in Montgomery County, one of the nation’s most populous, affluent and diverse counties.
What We Value
We are committed to:
- Serving the community by producing extraordinary content and events that inform and engage local residents
- Providing a work environment that is based on respect and that is inclusive to all and free of discrimination
- Creating opportunities for advancement and growth for our employees
- Execute our strategy to expand our journalism, impact and presence on all relevant digital and social platforms, and thereby grow our audience and membership
- Run day-to-day operations of the Beat newsroom and digital channels. Monitor and assign breaking news and guide reporters to produce impactful work on tight deadlines. Direct and assign content that prioritizes accountability and information audiences can’t get anywhere else
- Use news judgment and analytics, as well as collaboration with the digital and audience strategy team, to shape content to meet reader needs and improve audience reach.
- Guide reporters on story and content development, ensuring content is fair, well edited and produced promptly for digital distribution. Mentor reporters.
- Work with the audience team to search for and assign content opportunities outside of our usual beats, especially those trending on search and social.
- Use expertise and good judgment assigning content in the most appropriate formats, such as stories, data visualizations, takeaways, photo galleries and maps.
- Perfect must-read headlines and maximize SEO
- Manage special projects such as voters guides; host forums and other community gatherings; and represent the organization in events and membership campaigns
- Collaborate with the managing editor/longform to share ideas, sources, information and reporting resources, and to support editing for Bethesda Magazine.
- Shifts may include nights and/or weekends.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related field, or equivalent experience
- Excellent writing and editing skills, news judgment and audience sensibility
- Passion for and facility with local journalism
- At least two years’ experience as a reporter or one year as an editor/producer
- Proven ability to work quickly and accurately using a Web-based content management system. One-two years of professional site production experience is preferred.
- Must work well with a team, have the ability to multitask in a deadline-driven environment, and adapt constructively to change
- Ability to write and edit Spanish a plus.
The job is located in Bethesda Magazine’s office in Montgomery County. We offer a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance and a matched 401K program, as well as flexibility for remote work and opportunities for career development.
Z-Pop Media is an equal opportunity employer intent on building a diverse newsroom that reflects the audience it serves. Candidates are encouraged to highlight new perspectives they can bring to our team.
Qualified candidates should send a cover letter, resume and salary requirement to Anne Tallent, executive editor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.