Literacy Council of Montgomery County (lcmcmd.org) is an adult education and human services organization that provides basic literacy and English as a Second Language (ESL) tutoring, ESL classes, pre-GED preparation for adults, conversation classes for English learners, workforce development and job-skills training, and more. Annually, it serves more than 2,000 adult learners and relies heavily on a robust volunteer corps to provide individualized mentorship for adults struggling with literacy to improve their employment prospects, educational opportunities and everyday lives.
Serves: Montgomery County
What a donation buys:
• $250 covers the cost of four tablets for digital literacy.
• $1,000 provides books and materials for 15 adult learners.
• $10,000 pays the classroom rental fees for 12 10-week ESL class sessions.
• Weekly: Tutor an adult learner for two hours weekly.
• Seasonal: Be a fundraiser for literacy with events such as Giving Tuesday.