BETHESDA CARES (bethesdacares.org) helps people suffering chronic homelessness find paths to safe, permanent housing, while also easing their lives through its drop-in center, daily hot meal program, clothing closet and mental health services. Bethesda Cares also works directly with landlords and utility companies to prevent low-income residents from spiraling into homelessness.
SERVES: Montgomery County
WHAT A DONATION BUYS:
• $500 covers move-in expenses for a homeless veteran household to obtain housewares, cleaning supplies and personal care items.
• $1,000 serves as a security deposit for a newly housed client.
• $10,000 sponsors case management for 25 at-risk households participating in the Homeless Prevention program.
• One day: Organize a supply drive.
• Ongoing: Prepare and/or serve hot, nutritious meals for neighbors at risk of hunger.
• Student Service Learning