Fire broke out at Fire Station 1 restaurant in downtown Silver Spring Credit: Dan Schere

Editor’s note: This story was updated at 8:15 a.m. Oct. 14, 2022, to include the cause of the fire and other information.

A fire that broke out Thursday afternoon at the Fire Station 1 Restaurant & Bar on Georgia Avenue in downtown Silver Spring was caused by hot cooking oil that was left unattended, according to the Montgomery Fire & Rescue Service.

Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson Pete Piringer wrote on Twitter that the fire extended into the kitchen’s ventilation system and ignited built-up grease.

The cost of the damage caused by the fire was estimated at $225,000, Piringer wrote.

The northbound lanes of Georgia Avenue were closed between Sligo and Thayer avenues as firefighters responded to the blaze.

Advertisement

Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson Pete Piringer wrote on Twitter late Thursday afternoon that the fire started in the kitchen ductwork.

At 4:36 p.m., Piringer tweeted the fire had been extinguished, and no injuries were reported.