Credit: Photo from Pete Piringer via Twitter

This story was updated at 10:45 a.m. on June 28, 2021, to include additional information about the fire

A fire caused more than $1.5 million to a house in Bethesda early Monday morning, according to a Montgomery County Fire & Rescue official. No one was injured.

More than 50 firefighters called to a house on Kittery Lane near Redwood Avenue encountered heavy fire conditions, Fire & Rescue spokesman Pete Piringer posted on Twitter Monday.

The fire caused more than $1.5 million in damage to the house, including a partial structural collapse.

In another post, Piringer wrote that firefighters think the fire might have been caused by spontaneous combustion of rags and brushes with a floor stainer. Other causes are possible.

It appears the home had a sprinkler system based on the damage, Piringer wrote. Because of structural integrity concerns, firefighters couldn’t conduct a thorough examination.

Dan Schere can be reached at daniel.schere@bethesdamagazine.com