Credit: Via Pete Piringer

A freezer malfunction in the basement of a Rockville home caused a fire Tuesday afternoon, according to Montgomery County Fire & Rescue Service.

Two occupants got out of the house and were evaluated by medics on the scene, MCFRS spokesman Pete Piringer wrote on Twitter.

Smoke was visible coming from the roof of a house on the 6900 block of Old Stage Road at about noon, according to Piringer. Firefighters extinguished the fire by about 12:45 p.m.

The fire was considered likely electrical in origin. It caused about $300,000 in damages.