Mississippi Avenue in Silver Spring. Credit: Via Google Maps

Two cats died in a Silver Spring house fire Tuesday morning, a Montgomery County Fire & Rescue Service spokesman said.

One woman who was the only person in the house got out safely before firefighters arrived, Battalion Chief Kelvin Thomas said.

Firefighters responded to a house on the 500 block of Mississippi Avenue in Silver Spring at about 5:45 a.m. and saw smoke and flames coming from a window on the second floor.

The fire was largely limited to a bedroom, Thomas said. It was caused by a space heater. Firefighters found the two cats deceased upstairs.

Officials did not know if the woman would be displaced.

Firefighters had also responded to a fire in the White Oak area Monday night. About 90 firefighters came to the Enclave Apartments on Oak Leaf Drive after a fire in a trash chute in the 19-story building.

After spreading into void spaces along the chute, the fire had left hot embers from the basement to the top floor, Thomas said.

The building was partially evacuated, but no one was injured. Most people were expected to return to their apartments, but some could be displaced from water damage.